SIOP Congress Code of Conduct
SIOP Congresses are professional scientific events that provide a respectful, harassment-free, and inclusive environment for all participants, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, appearance, ethnicity, race, national origin, age or religion.
All Delegates, including speakers, exhibitors, media, staff, and other participants are expected to behave with integrity and respect towards other delegates attending or involved with the SIOP Congress and/or any related event, activity or third-party related platform.
SIOP is committed to informing Congress delegates about the code of conduct for event attendees, as well as ensuring that procedures and guidance for appropriate reporting of unacceptable behavior of any kind are made available to all those involved.
The present Code of Conduct is not a legal document or prescriptive in nature. It supplements, but does not affect, the application of other relevant policies, regulations, rules, and laws, including laws regulating the premises in which the SIOP Congress takes place and any applicable host country agreement if the event takes place in a physical venue. SIOP complies with such policies and will report all inappropriate conduct accordingly.
Online Behaviour During the SIOP 2022 Congress
Congress delegates will be provided with personalised credentials allowing them access to the Congress. These credentials are personal and non-transferable. Non-registered individuals, patient parent/relatives, other members of the public and minors will not be able to access the Congress, unless upon prior agreement with the Congress organisers.
Throughout the Congress , all Congress delegates are expected to interact with fellow attendees in the same way as at a physical SIOP Congress . As such:
- All communication, verbal or electronic, must be carried out in a respectful and polite manner. Inappropriate messaging or contact will not be tolerated.
- Live and semi-live sessions during the Conference will be moderated. Delegates are expected to respect the choices of the moderator in selecting questions or comments, managing session times, etc.
- Any recording, filming, photography, screenshots or other capturing of presentations, live sessions or other events, including scientific e-posters, taking place during, or associated with, the SIOP 2022 Congress, is prohibited without the express consent of the presenter. Express consent is a written confirmation by the author in a live chat or email correspondence.
Participants are encouraged to report any experienced harassment to the designated SIOP 2022 staff at SIOP@kenes.com. The Congress organisers reserve the right to take any action deemed appropriate in case of harassment. Host institutions of reported individuals will be notified about filed harassment reports.
Use of Camera and Video
Attendees of the SIOP 2022 Congress are required to respect the privacy of other participants and refrain from any unauthorized or unwelcomed recording or photography, including the recording of any direct or indirect interactions or electronic messaging with other Congress delegates. Participants are not allowed to take photos or videos of scientific material shown unless express prior consent by the presenter has been ascertained. Moreover, integral recording of complete oral presentations is not allowed unless these are done by a professional entity that has been contracted for this purpose by or on behalf of the organizer.
Taking photos and recordings within the Congress environment for professional use is not allowed without obtaining prior permission from the organizer.
SIOP adheres to the copyright laws guiding the appropriate sharing of scientific research material, including data. Authors’ consent may be requested by SIOP in case sharing of scientific material from abstracts/posters/presentations will be required as part of SIOP educational activities.
- As detailed under “Online behaviour at the SIOP 2022 Congress ,” any recording, filming, photography, screenshots or other capturing of presentations, live sessions or other events, including scientific posters, taking place during, or associated with, the SIOP 2022 Congress , is prohibited without the express consent of the presenter. Express consent is a written confirmation by the author in a live chat or email correspondence.
Presenters and exhibitors are strongly encouraged to clearly indicate whether or not photography/recording of the poster, presentation, or exhibit booth and sharing/remixing of the material is permitted.
For the purpose of these guidelines, harassment consists of improper or unwelcome conduct that might reasonably be perceived as causing offence or humiliation to another person. Harassment may involve any conduct of a verbal, non-verbal or physical nature, including written and electronic communication, and may occur between persons of the same or different genders. Harassment in any form is not tolerated at the Conference .
Examples of harassment include, but are not limited to:
- Verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, race, age, religion, political affiliation
- The production or non-consensual sharing of harassing non-consensual photography or unwanted recording, including sexual images in public spaces (in any format, electronic or otherwise)
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following
- Sustained disruption of talks, sessions or other events
- Inappropriate contact, including via electronic communications
- Unwelcomed sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviours
All data and scientific research that is presented at the SIOP 2022 Congress shall be based on original research findings that have been derived from procedures and experiments that adhere to the accepted guidelines for good ethical and experimental research conduct. Presenters are responsible for the content of their presentations, whether oral or written, and shall secure appropriate consent from collaborators and funders, as relevant, prior to any presentation at the SIOP 2022 Congress.
SIOP 2022 Congress encourages open and respectful discussions on social media platforms. Nonetheless, participants are requested to not post images or video online without obtaining appropriate permission. Participants are requested to respect any request from an author not to disseminate the contents of their presentation/poster.
The SIOP 2022 Congress and organizers reserve the right to take any action as deemed necessary as a consequence of any breach of the present Code of Conduct. This includes reporting to host institutions and permanent removal of SIOP 2022 Congress credentials.